Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Penny Dreadful- Season 2

I don't know how I feel about this season honestly. I think I overhyped this series in my head. I was blown away by the first season. It was novel, interesting, exciting,  it was just my type of genre.

Season 2 wasn't bad, but it wasn't as ground-breaking, which is ok, it was still entertaining. Things slow down a bit here and we are given Ms. Ives backstory but no one else's. Well, not exactly, I mean we know what Dorian Gray is, cause he's Dorian Gray duh, we know Ethan is a werewolf and we know Frankenstein reawakens the dead but we're not shown anything from their past which kinda sucks cause they're important characters.

On a positive note, Frankenstein's monster is not as much of a pain in the ass anymore!



Don't get too excited, he still mopes around and cites depressing poetry, but he is now friends with Ms. Ives and their relationship dynamic adds a lot to the show.

My biggest pet peeve in this season is Brona Croft, a.k.a Lily a.k.a Bride of Frankenstein. Her motivations don't make any sense to me and why doesn't Vanessa recognize her? It's not like Vanessa to not notice obvious things. How does Lily realize that Dorian is immortal when none of our other supernatural do? And vice versa? How does Dorian sense that there is something.. off.. about Lily when it goes over  Vanessa's head?! There are too many holes in that story. Turning Lily evil feels so forced, it's like the writer needed a new baddie and had to come up with something outside the box, which is crap since there were many potential conflicts around already! (Ethan's wolfish background which hasn't been explained yet, Dorian's presence and back story, etc.) Turning Lily evil feels a bit desperate and unnecessary IMO. It also bothered me how Ethan and Lily's connection had been hastily swept aside for plot progression purposes. It feels incomplete and fake.

Ferdinand Lyle




Anyway moving on to greener pastures. Well done with introducing Ferdinand Lyle as a supporting character this season! Very interesting character and well portrayed by Simon Russel Beale. He's one of the reasons I am looking forward to the 3rd season. He brings a sort of comic and light hearted relief to the otherwise intense and depressing cast.

I will be watching season 3 but it doesn't bother me that I have to wait another year for it. The novelty has worn off and I'm not sure if things will ever be the same again. Dramatic much?

No comments:

Post a Comment